POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Random thoughts about povray and xml : Re: Random thoughts about povray and xml Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random thoughts about povray and xml
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Mar 2004 07:11:14
Message: <cjameshuff-C61DD4.07112823032004@news.povray.org>
In article <405f412f$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> > Right, but there's no built-in mechanism for handling this. If you want
> > to use 128-bit IEEE754 floats, you have to write IEEE754 floats...
>
> I am not sure what this is supposed to say at all.  Nothing says that "
> double " cannot be a 128 bit IEEE 754 float.  In fact, certain platforms do
> currently offer 128 bit IEEE 754 floats as "long double".

But common languages, and none that I know of which it would be feasible
to write POV in, have a standard, portable facility for writing 128 bit
IEEE 754 floats. You would have to write your own code to do so, if you
just write the floats directly, you will get different results on
different platforms.

And I know it's an easy problem to fix, which is why I called the wide
use of text for numeric values laziness.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/